Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

July 2011 Artist: Marleen De Waele-De Bock

I've learned in my short time living and working here n Nashville that people wind up here from all over the world! Marleen De Waele-De Bock is just one of those fascinating people!! Marleen is originally from Belgium. After studying printmaking at Ghent University she and her husband found their way to Mozambique, South Africa and finally here to Nashville. She has seen the world, met the people and has been telling her story through her art all along the way! Her paintings burst with color, texture and energy and even more importantly they carry Marleen's signature character and style. I sat down with Marleen recently in her beautiful home in Brentwood to discuss her life story and her art! I hope you enjoy the conversation!!


Interview part 1


Interview part 2




Growing up in Belgium

RC: Will you describe what Belgium is like?

MDD: Yes! Born in Belgium and I spent my teenage years and my college years all in Belgium so... yeah! What can I say about Belgium? It's a very small country. It's a good country to live in? You know, I like it, but I know that the weather is not nice to live there. People are complaining often about the weather.

RC: What's the weather like?

MDD: Well, it's not extreme cold or it's not extreme warm. It's like England. Mainly grey like we have here in Nashville. So that influences the people cause when the weather is nice people are so much more happy and alive and talk to each other. But in general it's a western country. It's in the middle of Europe. It's very stable. It's a rich country and the education is well organized. The school systems are well organized.

RC: Where did you go to school in Belgium?

MDD: Well in Belgium we don't have the system like here (with) public and private so everyone mainly goes free...  ...(I went to a) small elementary in small little village and then I went to the big city, Ghent to do my art school.

RC: So you went to art school in Ghent.

MDD: In Ghent and I went to like high school here but it was for people with a kind of talent like art so it's like a normal curriculm like you have in high school but it's a bit more focused on art and then when I was 18 years old, that was between 15 and 18, so when I was done with high school I stayed at the same school and I did like 4 year specialization. That's the hightest...

RC: What did you specialize... ?

MDD: Printmaking

RC: Printmaking! Okay, and did you do printmaking outside? Once you graduated there did you kinda go into printmaking?

MDD: Cause you see that's the problem! When you do printmaking it is very intense and it's very technical and we came out with only twelve in our art school and we don't have many art schools so not a lot of people are coming out with that degree in Belgium. ...the problem is what do you do with that degree because you need your studio with all your equiptment, your press, your chemical stuff, your... tons of stuff to have... to make prints, to print or to do printmaking. So yes, I didn't to it a lot after graduating with printmaking... ...bacause actually immediately after I gradutated I left for Africa.

Leaving Europe

RC: What actually brought you to Mozambique?

MDD: Mozambique! That's my husband, he has to take that.. he's responsible.

RC: He's responsible!

MDD: Yeah, he actually is a geologist! It's hard to find work in Belgium. Most people go over seas, especially in Africa to other countries. He had always dreamed to do some work in Africa in his field so... and we were very hippy type of people and we were open you know a jump, a challenge in life and umm... I thought I realized it was such a poor country but I thought I could do it but i was very hard! Yes it was very hard to be in Mozambique...

from Mozambique to South Africa

RC: so at some point in time you went to South Africa...

MDD: That was in 1990...

RC: What did you do there?

MDD: It was better conditions there because before (in Mozambique) we were like... kinda based on a volunteering contract... ...but South Africa changed the whole journey I would say because we went with the company so good contract, better country, more stable. Lots of people poor but lots of people you know doing well too. The infrustructure... for me to live with a small family, a young family... cause at that time I had too small children there was food to buy there was everything to buy! (but) it was not difficult to survive in my condition.

RC: Yeah...

MDD: But again, why I was going to South Africa... I was following my husband.

RC: Well you know that is a common story in a lot of ways.  When we decide to get married we make decisions together and sometimes those decisions bring us to places we might not originally gone.

MDD: Exactly yes, but I'm happy cause I did all these things and traveled not to just South Africa, southern Africa, more countries in Africa and yes that's why... because he brought me there I could do and have a broader view of the world. Maybe I'd still be the artist in Belgium.

RC: Maybe!

RC: You have said your time in Africa has affected your art work so can you explain more about that?

MDD: Yes, because I think all artists they keep their eyes open and their ears open and you're aware of what is around you. So for me Africa, that is real different culture. Because the people are different. I was used to painting or drawing white people and now suddenly I had all these black people so... and their faces are different. That inspired different things. You had to use another color palette. You have to look different to the faces. They have beautiful faces! I was so inspired by them. They are colorful! Uh, I mean the fruit, the food, the way they dress, their culture it's so different, ofcourse ofcourse you're inspired by that. I mean I was!! ... but after a couple of years that was enough because I started to get inspired by other things. This is something weird that goes in between (her times as a painter). I had a fasion line for a couple of years in South Africa so I did stop for a couple of years at really really being (a) hard working painter. I did paint here and there but I was really really busy with the fasion line and sucessful, but that is not the story we are telling here!! Because it's about art and not the fasion!

RC: (lol!!)

MDD: so once I knew that I was going to America I stopped and I was thinking okay I'll try to make it hear as a designer in the fasion but I started to paint a whole exhibition the last year and that was of all wooden sculptures from Africa. That was the subject.

RC: So that first exhibition in America was...

MDD: ...was with the paintings I made in South Africa, you know, subject scuptures from Africa and I kept them because some people wanted to buy some paintings but I said no no I want to keep it together and I wanna try and have an exhibition with that here in America. So that is actually what happened. I had the first one at the Parthenon.

RC: Okay, very good!!

MDD: And then I shift, inspiration wise I was not in Africa anymore so people were still asking me why aren't you still painting African whatever, people, sculptures, animals and I'm like no I'm not in Africa anymore I'm in...

RC: so that is a good transition... it's a good transition because my next question was...

Inspired by Nashville

RC: ... how as Nashville or America or whatever, how has that influenced your art now?

MDD: Yeah! I Mean I'm here now and I see different things and I look around agian, I keep my eyes open so I'm living in Tennessee. Tennesse is forests, it's green... uh, horses... uh, that is a different subject to paint! That is completely different so and not just Tennessee but the whole country. It's such a big country and it's so different. Every state has it's own thing so... but I've painted a lot of things, these days I've painted a lot of landscapes...


RC: ... lots of landscapes?

MDD: Yes, lots of landscapes, but in my own way! Because I want to tell a story not just a landscape so I will paint like a big circle in the middle to make it visually interesting and to bring kind of a message behind you know the landscape... I'm not gonna say what kind message, people need to read their own message.

RC: Sure! So you feel strongly that... you know, that just because you have something to say within it, it doesn't mean it has to say that?

MDD: Exactly.

RC: other people can have different meaning...

MDD: Exactly! That is what I personally like in art. I don't like to see the copy of the reality. It never can be the reality, it's always a copy anyway so if you are so skilled and technical and so good that you can make almost like you know a photo from something you see you know, but it's a painting... I admire the skills behind and the technical knowledge but it doesn't inspire me. I want to see something more, a little bit more magic you know...

RC: I like that... I find that interesting the idea that it's always a copy. Like anytime you do anything wether you're doing a portrait of somebody or painting a landscape outside it will never be the actual thing it looks like...

MDD: Exactly...

RC: So maybe why even bother in some senses you know...

MDD: Yeah

RC: you wanna be able to.. I mean the way I feel about it, which I find interesting... even though you're doing a landscape of let's say Mount Killamanjoro or something let that painting be it's own thing even though it is of something that's real or something that you see, it's never gonna be that mountain...

MDD: It's never gonna be even though again if you want to do it so realistically it's always a copy.

RC: In regards to your process or the technique that you use... first give us an idea of what steps you take when you first start a painting, what causes you to be inspired, to start new works?

MDD: Okay, that's a good question. It's always something, I mean I'm not who is planning all the time. I don't know how my painting will be when I'm done you know so I just have like a raw vision. Let's say like thet painting of the jumping girl you have see in my house, the jumping girl I know but in what enviroment? That grows will I'm working. So it can be songs! Sometime I like a sentence in a song like people walk in circles or something like that and I'm like "Oh my gosh this is very interesting" so immediately I see people walking in circle and that is the beginning...
RC: So it sounds like to me that part of your process, at least from beginning to end making paintings, is kind of like a journey for you.

MDD: Yeah

RC: I guess you kind of start with an idea and you just kind of get right...what kind of materials are you using to help sort of get this presentation out and what kind of techniques do you like to use to sort of help create this artwork that is really yours?

MDD: I started with oil.  My studio is in my basement.  The air circulation is not really good and I’m like well yes, I will take a lot for my art, but I don’t want to die for my art.  Because it was really getting worse, the...the oil and bad circulation, so I just started to paint with acrylics and people actually don’t see the difference.  I can use it in a way that it looks like oil or maybe I use my oil that it looks like acrylic.  So I like acrylic a lot, because it dries very quick and oil...you paint yourself in oil?

RC: Yes I do both oil and acrylic.

MDD: So you know the difference.

RC: Yeah

MDD: I do some in oil, but I like acrylics.

RC: Okay.  Now I know you’re using acrylic, but you’re also using contact crayon and some other things to help accent a lot of your works, if I’m not mistaken, and you also mentioned to me in our prior talks about a scratching away technique.  Can you describe that for us a little bit?

MDD:  Yes.  I start with a medium like paste and bring that on my canvas, mix colors, so that my starting point, and it looks like an abstract work and then I’ll build and I’ll build, new colors and get more shapes, more form and I scratch a lot away in my canvas because I like the process, the color, scratch a little bit, the colors coming through, do some more color.  For that I use, I don’t know the real English word for that...box cutter, how do you say that?

RC: X-Acto knife.

MDD: X-Acto knife.

RC: Yes...good charade there.

MDD: Why just not a cutting knife?  Yes, so I use that to scratch away...sharp things.

RC: Anything sharp?

MDD: Anything sharp, yes.

RC: When people see your work, especially when they see it up close, sometimes I think even with the reproductions, sometimes miss some of those little subtleties, because when I look at them up close you can really see how the scratching away creates some of that see through where you have one color and a color underneath and they kind of play with each other.  I really enjoy that about your work.  Two last questions before we wrap it up.  First of all, how do you feel about the Nashville art scene right now?  You’ve been around it...a lot of people know who you are in town.  You’ve done a lot of different shows.  What do you think about the Nashville art scene and what’s offered here the artists?  I know you know some personally and you have friends in the scene, so just elaborate on your feelings about it...being part of it. 

MDD: It’s very interesting.  I like to be here, but it’s not like big, big cities.

RC: Yeah.

MDD: Not the quality or value of work, it’s really good in Nashville, we have very good artists.  We have a lot of artist-to-be, so...but that doesn’t matter.  There are really good artists and there are venues and they are growing, the problem is I think that the real, it’s not a nice word to use, people who really want to spend money to buy art, they think that Nashville is not a city to go, you know what I mean?

RC: Sure.

MDD: They go to bigger cities and it’s a really downside for all of us, because we can show beautiful work, there are a few that will buy and it’s a national city, Nashville and there are people coming from everywhere but somewhere people they are really willing to give a couple of thousands.

RC: Yeah.

MDD: To a painting it’s hard to spend it here in Nashville and that’s a reality.

RC: So do you see that possibly changing between now and ten years or not.  What would help to make it change?  In your opinion.

MDD: Of course we are in a bad economy, that doesn’t help.

RC: It doesn’t help.

MDD: No it doesn’t help, and it hurts many cities even big cities.  I know that.  I know galleries are closing down because they don’t sell, so that’s part of the deal too.  I think when we were in the economy of ten, fifteen years ago, it would be fine.  People were buying more in Nashville, now they are, now they are just... or they don’t have the money and the people with the money, they don’t want to spend it because they are not safe what the future might bring them.

RC: So do you feel like....

MDD: I feel it’s more of economy, so if that is going better, and what we have today in Nashville, the venues, the newer galleries, the Nashville Art Magazine, who does great work for artists.  I think people realize and will realize that it’s good art, that we have good art.

RC: It’ll start bringing more in...

MDD: Yes.  I’m quite positive, but I mean that’s reality, but who buys art?  It’s not like...you don’t eat it, you don’t wear it, you really don’t show off...with a car, you show off...a house.

RC: Yeah

MDD: Art, it’s for a very small select..

RC: Yeah, obviously that’s always been the struggle with art over time, because every person in the world can’t just buy art.  Money is not that freely spent.

MDD: Exactly and I realize that, I mean I can live with that.

RC: That makes complete sense if the economy was to grow, to change, go in a better direction, all those things, you would assume that Nashville would continue to grow in that, if the economy stays stagnant then it’s gonna continue to be sort of stuck in a spot for a little while.  I do agree with you that things like Nashville Art Magazine, the Frist Center for the Visual Arts which came in ten years ago, a ton of these things that have been happening in the last...

MDD: New galleries.

RC: New galleries in the last ten years.

MDD: The Art Crawl.

RC: The Art Crawl which is a really great thing.  All of this stuff is really helping Nashville sort of move in that direction.  I think over all a good sort of understanding, I think as long as we continue to make artwork and do our very best, that talented people, people with vision continue to come to Nashville and live in Nashville...as opportunities arise and more things change, I can’t help but be positive to believe it will continue to get better.

MDD: Yeah.

RC: That more people are going to appreciate the uniqueness of this place and what it has to offer.

MDD:  It’s already for the music.

RC: Yeah, which actually helps.

MDD: A different field.

RC:  It’s a completely different field, but I think it helps because if we didn’t have the music originally, Nashville would be even more obscure.

MDD: Yes.

RC: It has sort of celebrity in its own right as a city because of that...

MDD:  Exactly.

RC: Which gives it more credibility than some other town.

MDD: That’s what I like about Nashville.  The music...what’s going on music-wise.

RC:  It’s very cool, it’s always been cool, it’s one of the things that brought me here too, so I love everything about that as well.  It’s been an absolute pleasure to sit down with you.  I have always, ever since the first time I met her, went through your websites, I’ve always enjoyed your work and I’m really grateful you took the time to sit down with me and everyone at Nashville Art Makers.  Really quickly before we go...go ahead and tell Nashville Art Makers where we can find your websites, anywhere we can see your work and we’re going to also post that as well.

MDD: Well, I have my own art gallery and that’s at the Arcade and I’m part of the Art Crawl every first Saturday of the month.  You can always contact me and I will show you my work if you come out to the Art Crawl.  I’m also represented at newer gallery in Franklin...Gallery 202, very nice, by the way.  I’m also represented by Simon Ripley Music Store.

RC: Yep, that’s where we met.

MDD: That’s where we met.  Very nice people, very good store, for the musicians and for the art, and I’m thinking where else...and my website...

RC: That’s very good.  So all those things will be listed also on the blog so you’ll see that if you can’t remember it from the video.  We are glad to have everyone here watching and thank you for joining us here at Nashville Art Makers and we’ll see you next time.  Thanks. Bye.

MDD: Bye.


 


*** End of Interview***


Artist Statement

Born in Belgium, I presently live with my family in Brentwood, TN. It is the fourth country in which I find inspiration to create my artwork.
 The African continent (where I lived for more than a decade before moving to the USA) had a deep influence on my work, still felt today. With the new impressions here in the USA my artwork evolves further into directions that seem endless.
I need to feel a connection with my paintings that are based on daily experiences. Landscapes and nature are often depicted. I try to tell a story, capturing certain emotions instead of creating a copy of the reality.
Usually a painting starts with an abstract background and a vague idea without planning. I add shape through the use of color, value and texture. My work is mainly intuitive and colorful. It provides energy to the viewer. There is a consistency of happiness and peace, whether it has been born of scratching in the paint, use of brushes or a palette knife.

Artist Exhibitions & Resume

Marleen De Waele- De Bock

Marleen De Waele- De Bock

Born: 1960, Dendermonde, Belgium

Education:

1982: Master degree in Fine Arts (specialization printmaking) at the St.Lucas Art School, Ghent, Belgium
1987: Publicity/ advertising studies at the Fine Arts Academy, Ghent

Exhibitions:

2011; Represented by Gallery 202 in Franklin,TN
2011: selected for Central South Art exhibition, Nashville (May)
2010: Gallery 1025: Noël, group exhibition (Nov) Paducah, KY
2010; Tennessee state Museum, Romance of the horse (June 17-Aug22)
2010: BelArt gallery, showing and promoting own work
2009: - Contract to show work at Simon Ripley's music and art, Nashville
2008-2009: BelArt gallery, showing and promoting own work
2007: - Solo show at La Palette gallery, Nashville (sept.28- oct.28)
2007: - River gallery, art district, Chattanooga ( febr)
2007: - La Palette art gallery: Full Circle artists ( jan. 12 – Febr. 12 )
2006: - La Palette art gallery: Winter show ( nov. 17 – Dec. 31)
2006: - MNAC Nashville, new building (for 6 months)
2006: - Plohaus : printers group ( september 29)
2006: - Dangenart gallery: ( febr. 13- march 11)
2006: - Tennessee Art Commission ( febr 2- march 17 )
2006; - LeQuire Art gallery: Winter Wonder (Jan.28-febr.15)       
2005: - Selected for: Art at the bank, Brentwood                                                   
2005: -Represented by LeQuire Art Gallery                     
2004: - Full Circle Gallery
2004: - Striped Door Art Gallery
2003: - Parthenon West gallery, Nashville
2002: -Selected for Central South Art exhibition, Nashville
1995: - Alliance Francaise, Johannesburg, South Africa
1994: - The Scheickerdt Art gallery, Pretoria, South Africa
1993: - Belgian Artists in R.S.A., Durban, South Africa
1982 : - de Shakosh, Ghent, Belgium/ Ronse, Belgium

  
Further experience:

1982-1985:  Mozambique
- Teacher of fine arts at Mondlane University, Maputo.
- Animation film projects at the National Cinema Institute,    Maputo

1990-2000:  South Africa
           - Realization of large size oil paintings on canvas
           - Painting of ceramics
           - Design of postcards, publicity cards
           - Painting of murals
           - Realization of a new range of children wear, including own        designs and patterns, manufacturing and sale

                 USA

 2003: - Article in Tennessean, April
 2004: - Journal and photo album cover design for C.R. Gibson: for                                                  sale in Borders Bookshops
             - cover illustration for Nashville Scene, August 5
             - wrapping paper designs for American Greetings
             - selected for Holiday Bollard Decoration Project at the Frist     Center, Nashville
2006:   - Journal cover Design for C.R. Gibson

2007: - Fall semester: art teacher at O’more College of Design
2008:  - Illustration Nashville Scene: Annual Manual Jan 2008
2008:  - Judge, Scholastic Art Competition, Cheek wood Jan 2008
2008:  - Art teacher at O’more College of Design, Franklin

2008:  - December, opening BelArt Gallery, The Arcade, Nashville to promote own work.
2009: - Speaker Williamson library for foreign exchange program (art)
2009:  - Art teacher at O’more College of Design
2009:   - BelArt Gallery, the Arcade Nashville until today
2010: - Art teacher at O’more College of Design
2010:  featured artist in Nashville Arts Magazine, June issue


Marleen De Waele- De Bock       marleendebock@hotmail.com    http://www.marleensartwork.com/       Cell: 615- 397 2347









































No comments:

Post a Comment